Saturday, February 11, 2012

Why do I love thee, Philly? Let me count the ways...

Never a week goes by without someone asking,
"Where are you from?"

No one freaks out over a couple of flakes of snow...or even a couple of feet...

What?!? You say you want to go out to eat?! The restaurant choices are unending.

Food trucks.

...so George sat here...and Ben was over here...Thomas liked this chair...and John? Well, Mr. Hancock preferred this spot...

People actually think my "accent" is endearing!

A former Arkansas Razorback is a PITCHING MA-CHINE for the Philadelphia Phillies, and He. Rocks (No, I will NOT tell you who he is. I can't help the perpetually ignorant. Figure it out, that's what Google is for).

Phillies are red. Razorbacks are red. Read: don't have to get a new wardrobe.

Our country was born here - need I say more?

There are four - count them, FOUR - seasons! Who knew!!

You can enjoy outdoors without flies carrying off your food...or mosquitos the size of the American bald eagle sucking your blood dry.

No one knows what a "tornado drill" is. Or maybe even a tornado...

Those exotic things in that new recipe you want to try you can actually find on the shelves at any local market.

Similarly, that new product advertised on tv or in the magazines is actually available for purchase in your neighborhood. At the same time it's being advertised. And - products you've NEVER seen advertised are also available.

It's not just a concrete jungle. There are beautiful trees, landscapes, parks, rivers, creeks - everywhere.

People from other parts of the country have heard of your city. In fact, people from OTHER COUNTRIES know where your city is and why it's important.

Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity. You want it, you can find it here.

Herr's Potato Chips.

Hershey Chocolates.

Two hours from NYC!!!!

Wawa.

Wawa Deli.

The Phillies. The Eagles. The Flyers. The 'Sixers.

Actually going to Phillies games.

Penn's Landing.

The Liberty Bell. Independence Hall. The Constitution.

A few miles from my house is the Battlefield of Brandywine, which we lost. George Washington said at the end of his life that that battle was one of the five greatest disappointments of his life. I walked where our first president walked.
PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS!!!! Geno's vs. Pats....we choose Geno's. Wiz wit-out.

Cheesesteaks in general...

Rita's Ice (my favorite flavor - peanut butter and jelly).

We're really close to Delaware, where there is no sales tax.

Two hours from the boardwalk and beach at Ocean City, NJ.

Even if we weren't close to DE, PA has no sales tax on food or clothing. Year-round. BOO-Ya!

We say, "10 of 2," instead of "10 til 2." Much cooler - don't you think?? And you will be corrected if you don't use the correct phrasing.

Events get cancelled when the heat index approaches 90 degrees. That includes evening baseball practices for little league. And school.

All Star Baseball Academy for my boys - they hire guys who have played with or coached in the major leagues (Phillies included!). They know how to play, how to teach, and love what they do. Plus, their facilities are top-notch.

Rittenhouse Square.

Amoroso's breads and rolls.

The Philadelphia Museum of Art (we ran the same steps Sly did!!).

Streets made of bricks. Really old bricks.

Federal Doughnuts.

Seeing the skyline as I drive into the city.

My kids are learning about other cultures. A veritable melting pot, and being different doesn't make one stand out in a bad way.

I. LOVE. THE. CITY.

1 comment:

  1. I love how much you love living where you do! I'm so proud of you for taking your children there and owning the place you call home. Oh, and now, I'd like to visit. Once I get resettled, what say I fly non-stop from my very well known city to yours for a few days? I love you & I love this post!

    ReplyDelete