Earlier this week I cooked dinner: Lemon Chicken, rice, green beans - basic fare. As the people were eating, I asked each of them how it was. Katie and Cole just replied that it was "good." But Jack didn't immediately respond. So I asked, "Jack, how is the chicken?"
Jack replied between bites of rice that he hadn't tasted it yet, and then said quickly,
"But if I know you, it's good."
Ahhhhh, bliss. True bliss.
My heart was full that night.
I was sitting at my computer, reading the latest news on MSN. Cole was sitting behind me at the bar coloring, and said, "Momma!"
I turned around and he had his arm extended, clearly wanting me to hold his hand. I grasped his hand, and he said in a quiet voice,
"Momma, I care for you."And then he sang me a song of his own about how he loved his momma!!
As a contrast, one day this week, I was helping Katie get dressed for school. Much to my chagrin, our school district does NOT demand uniforms. This very often allows for "disagreements" regarding what Jack or Katie will wear on any [every] day. This particular morning, I laid out a skirt and top, along with - silly me - socks and shoes. She dressed herself except for the socks and shoes, and came out of her bedroom proclaiming,
"This-looks-bad-you-lied-to-me-you-just-want-me-to-look-stupid-so-everyone-will-laugh-at-me!"'
Uh, excuuuuuuse me, ma'm, what planet are you on????
Dan had to intervene. I could not find words to address her in an appropriate manner.
She finally left in the outfit I had picked out, but with different socks and shoes, Dan having convinced me to "pick my battles."
What-ever.
My children are - believe it or not - the light of my life. They keep me alive, and motivated to keep going. I must have been so bored before...whatever we did with our time I'll never know. The days and nights seem to drag by, but the years keep flying by. I try to write down all the funny, innocent, and witty comments they make, but the task of every day living doesn't always permit it. They amaze me with their observations, raw candor, and innocence. I try to remind myself daily that it won't last, that I should thank my God for their sweet innocent hearts, that my time with them is precious. If this is what childhood is like, however will I deal with them as teenagers? One day at a time, one comment at a time...
No comments:
Post a Comment