Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Going North, part 2: A new address in the borough of Confusion

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a homer. In other words, unless a major crime has occurred, then I'm going to pull for the home team no matter what, and against all others. Now that we've signed a lease for an apartment here in West Chester, I LOVE PENNSYLVANIA!! I'm now a Pennsylvanian (Is that right? That doesn't sound grammatically correct, but oh well. It'll have to do right now). While my blood will always "run Razorback red," I have no choice but to root for, support, and celebrate all things Pennslyvanian. I also have to work on spelling it.

That said, I was researching the differences between a "township," "borough," "city," "village," "random group of people living together," you know - terms like that. Apparently, we up here in the great commonwealth of Pennsylvania do not just live in cities. WE live in a township, borough, city or even village. I don't think there are any Pennsylvanian tribes, but I'm not ruling it out just yet. In my "research," (surfing the web on my computer), I discovered that New York City takes first place for defining boroughs. The web is replete with definitions of "borough," but it's always talking about New York City's five boroughs!

I am here to scream DISCRIMINATION! We Pennslvanians are one of seven states (or commonwealths as the case may be) in the country who utilize the term "borough" to refer to a unit of local government. Why is NYC so much better than Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Alaska, New Jersey, Connecticut, or Virginia? Or even the state of New York itself? Aren't we all about fairness, and equality? Why must the residents of New York City get all the accolades for what makes up a borough? Maybe we have the writers and producers of Law & Order to thank...always talking about "this borough or that one." And I would bet Israel or Palestine that as you're reading this, you are trying to name - in your head - the five boroughs of NYC. Well don't expect me to help you out TRAITOR!! Just remember I am the one who brought this injustice to light, k?

To complicate the issue here in the CITY of West Chester, they like to use part of the same name or word over and over again but in reference to different parts of the area, or even street names. For example, Goshen is a popular word. There is East Goshen township, West Goshen township, and naturally, there is a street called Goshen. Bradford - same thing. Brandywine - another popular one. PLUS this whole area is known as the Brandywine area. Whoever this Brandywine guy - he was either really rich or really popular. There are tons of retailers with "Brandywine" at the beginning of their name. Which reminds me - and I keep meaning to take a picture of it for you - downtown in the borough of West Chester there is a business called "Wine Chiropractic." This always makes me laugh. And want to make an appointment. Think about it...

The whole issue of using the same name/word over and over again just complicates matters. I keep merging some of them and I end up saying something like, "No, that store is over in the Westtown Brandywine township of Goshenville..." or something like that. They all sound alike to me. If it were me, I would only have one township with the word "Goshen" in it, one township with the word "Bradford" in it, and so on. None of this West Goshen, East Goshen, Northerly-southeast Goshen, Western Brandyville Goshenship. Oh, and by the way - don't write "township." You write "twp." That just makes me think of "twerp."

Each of these townships, villages, or boroughs have their own form of government. No, naturally they are not called mayors. They are usually called something like "Supervisor So-and-So," or "Manager Such-and-Such, or even "Commissioner Thus-and-So." The city - excuse me, twp. - council, is usually called something else that I don't recall. I blacked out before I got to that part of my research. I have managed to learn that a township is six square miles, and there are - get this - different classes of townships. You can either be first class, or second class. And you thought we were past a caste system!! A first class twp. has to have a population density of 300 inhabitants per square mile, and said inhabitants must have approve the change from a second class twp. to a first class twp. Believe it or not, some twp. inhabitants actually vote down such a referendum. Now that's just laughable!! Despite having perused Pennyslvania law manuals online, I could not find an answer to why they would do so. I will also mention that there are at least three classes of boroughs, and I think they are governed by someone called a president, but I started blacking out again before I could get it all. So, you will live in a certain township or borough in West Chester and your address, despite whatever township or borough you are in, will say West Chester. This is not to be confused with the actual borough of West Chester. Those lucky people live in the borough of West Chester in West Chester.

West Chester, is, of course, in the county of Chester. A little down the road - not sure which direction - is the town (village? city? tribe?) of Chester. Don't dare confuse us West Chesterans with just regular Chester. There's also a street - in West Chester - named Chesterville, and another one named Chester.

It all makes me think of Chester Cheese, which just makes me want some Cheetos.

8 comments:

  1. Mother & I wish to know: have you been drinking as you wrote this blog or have you been drinking all day? Do you have Borough-itis? You cannot be a true Southerner if you are now a sworn Commonwealther! As I have mastered, you must commence perfecting pronouncing "commonwealth" as pretentiously as possible.

    Is Brandywine part of West Chester or Plain Chester? And we're guessing that all of Brandywine and West Chester are in the county of Chester, yeah? Frankly, we need to drink some Brandy-wine in order to comprehend this new information. Can you ship that brandy-wine to real, real southern chester (i.e. non-commonwealth states such as Arkansas and soon, Nevada)?

    Mother inquires: "Are my grandchildren aware of their relationship to West Chester & Brandywine? " Meaning do they understand they are not apart of it and you guys aren't on some incredible vacation? Further, "How will you know where to vote?"

    Mother is pondering aloud why "West Chester" isn't one word. She has been thinking it's one word all along. "Is there a North Chester?"

    Oh, and btw, tell Miss Katie that I cannot name a tomcat "Fluffy." His name is Mister Mistopholeze, and I sing him his theme song from the musical, "Cats."

    And one last thing...if school starts at 9AM, what time do the kids finish with school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, FYI I am sober as a judge on Sunday. And as I stated, I HAVE to root for the "Cah-mun-wealth of Penn-sul-van-yah" (tried to say as prententiously as possible). Idk if Brandywine is part of West Chester ...why must you introduce such a complicated issue into this matter...and I don't think "Brandywine" is a noun...just an adjective. But, Idk. You have confused me!! I'll work on it. And Mister Mistopheleze or whatever his name is is waaaaay too feminine for a tom cat~~

    I have yet to confirm school starting at 9 am. I will do that at "sneak peek" this week, and Idk what time they get out. I'm guessing 6 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I'd like to add for the good of all humanity...that I DO NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A NORTH CHESTER, SOUTH CHESTER, EAST CHESTER, OR NORTHEASTERLY SOUTHERN CHESTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT COMPLICATE THIS ISSUE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NYC is better than Alaaaaaaaaska because Alaaaaaaaaska released the Kraken on us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YA'LL are waaay too clever for me. I must go beat my head against a map of the United States now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO at happynails2u. I know, right! *Passin' the jug of brandy-wine your way*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad can't pronounce "Mister Mistopheleze" so he calls him "Mustafa." Triggers another "Cats" song here: MEMORIES. Sometimes I just shorten it to "Mister," but he's so very sweet. I love him and want to keep him. Mother says we have to get rid of one...we cannot have 5 or 6, blah blah. She said that when Maui came so she's just talking fluff. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. H, you are so freak'in hilarious! Hope you guys are settling in. Keep blogging. Love you!

    ReplyDelete