So I took Cole to Kroger with me last Saturday...and we're in the cooking/baking aisle. I'm searching for something, and Cole points to a very large, African American woman, with slightly-orangish dyed hair, and clothes that don't totally cover everything, who is a few steps behind me. Cole says, in a not-quiet voice, "Is that a boy or a girl?" I take his little face in my hands, and whisper, "It's a girl...but if you wanna say something about her, talk quietly to Momma, or you might hurt her feelings."
I go back to looking for whatever it was, and the woman passes us, and since Cole was sitting in the buggy (cart? whatever) he was facing her when she passed us. Of course this gave him front row seats to a - well, let's just say a HUGE show!
And he says, also in his innocent, matter-of-fact, very not quiet voice, "Her crack is showing!"
I thought she might kill me right there in Kroger, then eat Cole...
I took his sweet little face in my hands again, and this time I said, "Cole, you can never never never say that again out loud! Pleeeeease whisper that to Momma the next time!"
Cole: "But it was!"
Me: "I know, but just don't say it out loud, ok?"
Thankfully, we made it out of the cooking/baking aisle - and Kroger - alive. Later I thought, well, it was showing, and maybe she'll think twice next time about going out in public like that!
No comments:
Post a Comment