Recently Dan was asking a clerk at the local Acme (a grocery store) where he could find ice. He had to repeat this no less than four times, and with each request, he became louder and louder. It was becoming embarrassing. Yet she never understood his request. It seems like the veins in his neck stood at attention as he desperately tried to make this simple clerk understand he Just. Wanted. Ice. She was looking at him like he had two heads, but after five or six attempts practically screaming at her he wanted "ICE," she pointed towards the rear of the store. She had quite the nasty look on her face. We walked off steaming, wondering aloud how the clerk could be such an idiot. We talked all through the store about how could that moron possibly not understand what he was saying! Finally, we finally laughed it off, checked out and went home. The next morning, I was relaying this story to my office mate. He listened quietly with a really irritating smirk. Finally I stopped after talking about how stupid she must be, my office mate paused for a few seconds. Finally he said, "Heather, it sounds like Dan was saying ass...where could he find ass..."
Ahhh...now I understand what they mean when they say we have an accent...
I had to stop a minute to let it sink in...and then I couldn't stop laughing. No wonder she looked at him with such disgust!! She thought he was asking for sexual favors!
If you are from the South, close your eyes...say "ice" out loud...be honest...a Southerner coming to the Northeast asking for ice could easily be mistaken for asking for ass!
Heather, Dan must have a really significantly southern drawl to be mistaken for saying "ass" rather than "ice." They are distinctly different. Please record him saying things and post it on your blog - we all want to laugh!
ReplyDeleteDear you have been living out of the South for too, too long! I hear it now, the accent, and laugh at what she must have been thinking! I will try to record him - people tell us his accent is thicker than mine, and mine is thicker than my children's.
ReplyDelete