We have our own version of some words or phrases in our family, some of which eavesdroppers could figure out...some maybe not. They keep coming up in daily conversation, so before I forget, I wanted to document this so years from now we know who to blame in therapy. Most every family has their own small version of Webster's, I figure, so feel free to throw yours out there. Everyone can have a good laugh at your expense.
Catillas ('ka-tee-yas): tortillas. Also used interchangeably to mean quesadillas. This one may pose a problem when Dan or I accidentally use it to order at a restaurant, immediately confusing the wait staff. No clue how this got started. It's been around a while.
Cone fall: phone call. This is Cole's, and it took me forever to figure out what he was saying!
Japtain Cap Sparrow: Captain Jack Sparrow...as in from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. This was Cole's too, but now we've pretty much all adopted it. Yes, it comes up in conversation more than you'd think...anything involving pirates, guns, swords, or explosions are common topics with my boys.
Heat-seater: the seat-heaters in my Suburban. This one is mine. I can't seem to get it straight. It irritates the heck out of Dan!!
Chimley: This is how Jack pronounced chimney from his early days of learning to talk, and it has never changed! His speech is otherwise perfect, but he maintains that chimley is the proper name of this particular item on a house.
Saskatchewan: my nickname for Katie when she gets an attitude. Noooo clue why this popped out one day. Unfortunately, I've also blurted out "Sasquatch" too...
Ty-rud: tired. Dan and I picked this up from our very-native Italian guide when we went to Italy in 2006. Every afternoon, she was proclaim how very "ty-rud" she was in her thick accent. When we visited big cities, she warned us how very "es-PAN-sif" everything was (expensive). Say it out loud with what sounds like an Italian accent, and you'll get the idea.
"What's your number?": How old are you? Cole isn't asking for your phone number, ok?
Boon-bull: my parent's house. Not the town of Booneville where they live, but their actual house. We know when they ask about going to Booneville, they mean actually being in Nana and Buddy's house. We know this because they have asked it - repeatedly - when we are actually inside Booneville proper. Furthermore, we've had arguments about the meaning of the word!
So there you go...I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to use with reckless abandon!!
No comments:
Post a Comment